Friday, April 4, 2008

Toro Toro Toro

On Monday night I went to bullfight. Why? Because, quite simply, I am living in Spain.
I realize that people in Spain (as well as the rest of the world) are divided in their reactions to bullfighting. Some see it as a barbarous cruelty to animals that must be stopped, but others really enjoy it as an important part of Spanish culture. Even though we had been told we wouldn’t like a bullfight (to which one of my friends responded, why wouldn’t we like something that involves good-looking men), we wanted to experience it for ourselves. Especially since the stereotypical image of Spain pictures bullfighters and flamenco dancers. It worked out especially well to go now because in one of our literature classes we are reading part of a book of letters describing events in Spain such as bullfighting. Two other girls went with me, Amanda and Kim. Here's a picture of Amanda and I, I don't have a good one of the 3 of us.
I must confess I am one of those who enjoyed it. The ambiance is incredibly rich: the arena packed with people, bright colors in the paint and sand, music playing, bullfighters in elaborate suits of gold, green, pink, and blue, the smells and sounds of the crowd, the horses, and of course, the bull. And it is impressive to see the bullfighters agilely step out of the path of the bull. A bullfight really is a dangerous game between brains and force; the bull hurls his thousands of pounds at the bullfighter in anger, while the torero uses his mind to avoid it, plan his moves, learn how the bull reacts, and use that knowledge to put an end to it. Although many people argue that the bulls are defenseless, all those I saw had rather large horns and were pretty intent on killing the bullfighters. There isn’t actually as much blood involved as one might think, and it helps to know that they eat all of the bulls after the fights (there is even a popular tapa here made from bull’s tails). Therefore, while I don’t think bullfighting is the smartest thing to do if you want to live a long healthy life, I'm not against it.
Each bullfight is divided into 3 part s, with music signaling the change. The first part begins with the bull running in and several guys waving pink and yellow capes in front of the bull as it charges. Then the picadors enter riding horses covered in armor. They carry long lance-type things that they use to stab the bull as it charges the horse. During the second part, the bullfighter is on foot alone in the arena with the bull. When he gets the bull in the right position, he runs toward it and stabs 2 banderillas at a time (decorated stick things with sharp ends) in its neck. In the third part, the torero (bullfighter) waves a red cape around, avoiding the bull’s charges before killing it with his sword. If he’s good, the bull dies with the first blow of the sword. If he’s not so great, they have to stab the bull in the head with a knife. When the bull is dead, a team of horses comes in and drags it away. They do this 6 times with 3 bullfighters, so each one fights 2 different bulls. While I wouldn’t like to go all the time, it was a good cultural experience.
Now, dear readers, the next post will depend upon you. While I do have more subjects I could ramble about, I’m not sure what people want to hear. Therefore, I have decided to write a couple “Reader’s Choice" posts. So please leave me comments with questions or topics you would like to know about, and I will do my best to answer you! I love you all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! i'll be honest...i got kinda grossed out when you told us what happened! ugh..never knew all of that happened. i'm glad you got to experience that part of spanish culture. i would have gone with you. at least you can say "i've been to a bullfight." you might surprise some people! ;)
i miss talking with you.

Anonymous said...

You make me smile :) So how often do they have bullfights?? *note that is not a "reader's choice" topic* And while we're talking about bullfights ... do you have any special bullahmcatahmfighting pictures to show me?? Miss ya Lins!! Oh, and I enjoy reading anything you write about ;)
~ Amy

bcpaine said...

I would like to know how Vygotsky works with learning Spanish and developing Spanish websites. ;)I'd also like to know how the search for a hot Spanish man is going.

Anonymous said...

I see you are clearly getting good ideas to write about! ;) haha

Anonymous said...

the bullfight was one of my favorite experiences in spain. at the time i decided once was enough, but now i would kind of like to see another. i've been messing sevilla lately.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know if you have made some friends from Sevilla; from the university, or around where you live and work. (how's it going with the lady upstairs that is lacking in the tooth department?) You talk mostly about the kids in the program.
I have gotten many comments from people at church that say you do a wonderful job giving details,it leaves few questions.
Your brother has received undue credit many times as to his incredible Spanish vocabulary. He is not the Andrew that is writing you most every post. Your brother was sad to give up his one year of Spanish for Latin class.(latin is a requirement at his school)Love ya,

Anonymous said...

How about a short story and some photos about the artist you are living with? Maybe a photo of the artwork as well. You descriptions and photos are excellent! Wish I could be there with you. Love you!