Thursday, March 20, 2008

Greetings from Germany

My general consensus is that Germany qualifies as the best spring break ever. Germany is so beautiful, even when it is snowing (which is really saying something for me). We decided it fits the stereotypical image of Europe much better than Spain or Portugal with its old wooden houses, green fields, and flowers. And in a way, it is like coming home for break: I sleep in on a warm cozy bed, eat food cooked in an oven, hang out with Leslie, and spend evenings watching movies and playing crazy games with her family.
We got into Frankfurt on Saturday in the early afternoon, but since we had gotten up at 4am we didn’t stay long and drove to Mannheim where we just hung out at the house for the rest of the day. Sunday morning we went to church, making quite an entrance as we walked in 20 minutes late after missing the streetcar. When they handed her the microphone, Leslie told everyone that we were from Spain and Portugal where it is okay to be late (one guy later came up and greeted me in Spanish and asked if I could dance Sevillana, thinking I looked native Spanish. It’s interesting to hear what Europeans think of each other, but that’s another story). I really enjoyed the church even though I couldn’t understand the sermon; it reminded me a bit of Heritage, including the world wallpaper boarder. Everyone was so friendly to me and told me to say hi to everyone at Heritage, but since it will still be a long time til I’m there again, I’ll just greet you dear readers of my blog. Sunday afternoon we went to Heidelberg, a cute town near Mannheim, and explored a castle and a cathedral. Because it was raining then, we went back on Tuesday with one of Leslie’s friends to go shopping and walk around the rest of the town. Seriously, we’ve seen things here that look like they’re straight from the travel channel, houses and churches decorated with crossed wood on stone streets leading up to the hills... Monday we caught a streetcar to downtown Mannheim, where we walked around town, a fountain, another cathedral where the president used to go, and the university that used to be the palace (they’ve got Sevilla beat on that one). In the evenings, we’ve come back for dinner and watched movies or played games.
I’ve also enjoyed eating good German food: schnitzel with noodles (“these are a few of my favorite things…”), soft pretzels, käsespätzle (noodle things with onions and cheese), chocolate, and the delicious variety of rolls and pastries Leslie’s dad brought us this morning from the bakery.
I will write again and post pictures later when I have a better Internet connection. But since it’s late and I’m in a reflective mood, I will offer a few observations more. I love Spain, but I think Germany is more developed, or at least it has more conveniences that I don’t miss in Spain (and they probably don’t need) but it’s nice to have here, like comforters, carpet, ovens, toilets that flush toilet paper, more cars, wood, and HEAT!!! Oh yes, heat. Granted, it is cold here and I’m glad I brought my parka, but I’m not dying like everyone in Spain told me I would (Take all the socks you own! Do you have snow boots?) The coolest thing is that the floor in the bathroom is heated! It felt great after coming back soaking wet one evening. Well, enough for now. Good night and I love you all!