I realize that sounds a little strange since Easter is not for another 9 days, but here the celebration of Semana Santa begins today. Semana Santa is Holy Week, technically starting Palm Sunday, but why wait (and contrary to popular opinion, “Santa” means “Holy” in Spanish so there is no connection whatsoever with Santa Clause). Therefore, things are starting to get really crazy here. They are cutting off the entire center section of town, and I’ve heard the buses are planning to go on strike for the holiday, so it is becoming impossible to get anywhere. In fact, one of my friends taught me a verb “callejear” that means “to have to take many different roads to get to your destination,” i.e. you can’t get there from here. But aside from that, it is kind of exciting to be here while everyone is preparing for Semana Santa, even though I’m not Catholic.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Off to the Fatherland
Happy Easter!
I realize that sounds a little strange since Easter is not for another 9 days, but here the celebration of Semana Santa begins today. Semana Santa is Holy Week, technically starting Palm Sunday, but why wait (and contrary to popular opinion, “Santa” means “Holy” in Spanish so there is no connection whatsoever with Santa Clause). Therefore, things are starting to get really crazy here. They are cutting off the entire center section of town, and I’ve heard the buses are planning to go on strike for the holiday, so it is becoming impossible to get anywhere. In fact, one of my friends taught me a verb “callejear” that means “to have to take many different roads to get to your destination,” i.e. you can’t get there from here. But aside from that, it is kind of exciting to be here while everyone is preparing for Semana Santa, even though I’m not Catholic.
I realize that sounds a little strange since Easter is not for another 9 days, but here the celebration of Semana Santa begins today. Semana Santa is Holy Week, technically starting Palm Sunday, but why wait (and contrary to popular opinion, “Santa” means “Holy” in Spanish so there is no connection whatsoever with Santa Clause). Therefore, things are starting to get really crazy here. They are cutting off the entire center section of town, and I’ve heard the buses are planning to go on strike for the holiday, so it is becoming impossible to get anywhere. In fact, one of my friends taught me a verb “callejear” that means “to have to take many different roads to get to your destination,” i.e. you can’t get there from here. But aside from that, it is kind of exciting to be here while everyone is preparing for Semana Santa, even though I’m not Catholic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Francfort
Mannheim
Happy Germany! We can see the
ground again,yea! 20.5 inches
doesn't usually melt so quickly.
Taking G to IN for Easter.
love, The Blue-eye'ds.
haha that's so funny about the hot guy! lol! hope you enjoy your week off and have a GREAT time in germany! :)
happy Easter! :)
Actually Germany is your fatherland. My Grandmother"s parents came from alsac lorraine. A small German town. Their name was Hamm. Also your Dads family came from the same town generations ago. I think it is now on the France side of the boarder, but at the time they all lived there it was a part of Germany. You probably will find everyone can pronounce your last name. Love ya.and have fun.
Yes, I was thinking of the fact that it really is my Fatherland when I wrote the post. And Sarah and Amy, I wrote the part about the hot guy just for y'all.
I absolutely love Germany. It's beautiful, the food is good, it's great seeing Leslie, and it's almost like coming home for break for many reasons. I'll post again when I have more time!
¿y?
Post a Comment