

But don't worry, that's not how we get our food. For that we have several options. I first tried going to a small local grocery store. One evening after school I walked in one, and after wandering around for 5 minutes looking like an idiot trying to find rice (remember I can't read yet), I hear a voice in English say "can I help you find something?" The school director's wife was there to get groceries for their dinner and arrived just in time to help me out. You can get the basic things you need at a local grocery store, but for fruits and vegetables and other grown things it is better to wait for market days. They have market here every 5 days, where people set up umbrellas on both sides of the street in certain sections of the city (down the road from me) and sell anything from fish to peaches to blue jeans. There isn't much variety in fruits and vegetables, though, not like in my dear tropical countries or in the US. And unfortunately for me, Koreans evidently don't like to barter unless you buy in bulk so it takes some fun out of going to market. But I still enjoy it... it's like sensory overload.



If you want foods they don't have in grocery stores, you can go to E-mart, which is like a SuperWalmart in the States. And if you want American things, you can go to Costco in Seoul.
A group from school went last weekend, and we stocked up on things you can't get anywhere else: cheese, salsa, cleaning supplies, cheaper toilet paper, frozen vegetables, meat, etc. You can get meat at market but by the time we get home from school it has sat out all day. Prices here are about equal or slightly above what they are in the States, a lot more for American things. I'm still trying to understand the economy here... it's very strong and so different than the other Asian countries I've been to. For example, Korea can't grow enough rice for it's people, so they have to import it and it is very expensive. And they are very partial to Korean things, so when they can't sell Korean chicken because of bird flu, they jack up the price of American meat. I'll try to understand it more in time. But don't worry, I am eating fine, and I'm liking Korean food more and more (but still not kimchi). Korean food has kind of an odd taste to it compared to the rest of Asia, but some things are absolutely delicious, like kalbi, sweet and sour pork, and this brown thick stuff over noodles. I hear Korean food is an acquired taste but I'm okay with most things I've tried. I'm also doing a pretty good job cooking if I do say so myself, even though I just have 2 stove burners to work with for now. Maybe someone will put a nice oven out by the dumpster someday...

I love you all! Leave me comments and let me know how you are! I know more than 3 people out there read this! ;^)

5 comments:
I love reading your stories and seeing your pics! Keep it up!
Si no sepas...
http://www.lifeinkorea.com/
Me ayudó un montón cuando vivía en Corea.
saludos,
a
Hey Lindsay! Sorry I haven't talked to you in a while...We just got our internet set up today (in my new place, yay!!), so I'm catching up on all your crazy Korean adventures. :) Sounds like you're adjusting well, glad to hear that you and your luggage made it safely. Hope you're doing well and good luck finding more cool stuff in the dumpsters! ;)
~Bethany
Lindsay - your stories are so much fun to read! You are an entertaining writer!
Glad to hear you are doing well ... I hope things settle down for you some ... or that you get used to it quick and are able to have some free time!!
~ Leanna
Llevamos una semana sin noticias tuyas.
Post a Comment