I arrived safely in Korea Saturday afternoon at about 4, and fortunately my luggage arrived with me. Everything went well, but the long flight from Atlanta to Seoul was operated by Delta people so it wasn't as nice as it is when it's run by Korean Air, even though it's a shared number flight. Somehow I managed to drag my two 50-lb suitcases through the airport without dying. The school director and his wife met me at the airport. They are nice people though I must say he looks like a Civil War sergeant with his long curly mustache. After we drove the 2 hours down to Songtan, we went straight to a party the business director of the school was having at her house for all the teachers. She is from the Philippines but most the teachers are Americans, with a few Koreans and Canadians thrown in I think. I sort of met everyone but I was tired from being up so long and don't remember much.
Because my apartment is not ready to move in yet, I am staying with two other teachers for a few days. They have a fairly nice flat, larger than most. They have a couch in the living room that pulls out to a bed that I sleep on. It is comfortable enough, but it is next to a wall of large windows they keep open for air. It took me a while to fall asleep since I am not used to the noises of a city- traffic, horns, crying babies, people talking in Korean... but once I put in earplugs I fell asleep right away. As usual, I don't have any jetlag but I am still tired from being up so long the past couple days. After church this morning some of the teachers went to Seoul to go to the Hard Rock Cafe but I stayed here to chill before orientation starts. I ended up going to the area near the military base with 3 other teachers who have been here a few years, and we ate at a Thai place. They were surprised when I ordered my Pad Thai almost as spicy as they make it and actually could eat it. And that I just got here but can use chopsticks better than they can :^)
We are currently sitting on the couch-bed watching the Olympics on tv. While Michael Phelps is winning golds for the US, we are watching Korea and China duke it out for the gold in women's archery. If you have never seen archery before, it is, ahem, thrilling.
I'll put pictures up once I actually take some. I'm going back to sleep now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Aprovecha, aprovecha. Me alegro que llegaras sana y salva (otra vez). je je je
¿y las fotos que me prometiste? ¿Dónde están?
I'm doing my best to book a stopover at ICN, but that two hour trip to where you are is killing me.
Oh archary ... yeah never was disappointed I didn't catch any of those competitions ;) Glad you are settling in well otherwise - as best you can without being in your own apartment!
~Amy
Post a Comment