Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Real Teachers Carry Pitchforks

The way I figure it, you know you're a real teacher when kids draw pictures of you with horns and a pitchfork. I'm not sure where the Uzi came from. This picture says "Test tomorrow. I'm sorry.... hahahaha!!" and the kid who wrote it was dumb enough to draw it on the back of his Spanish I test. But I guess as long as they do it in Spanish, I don't care what they say-or draw-about me.

Last week wasn't too bad... I made hard tack (sea biscuits) for my 7th and 8th grade geography class who is studying exploration and they liked them so much it kind of defeated my purpose... a few asked me for the recipe (it's just flour and water). For the first half of the year we're talking about the history of Europe so then I spent 3 days talking about the history of Medieval Spain and they actually really enjoyed it... but the part they were most excited about was when Fernando/ Ferdinand married Isabella. Oh how romantic. My 7th grade math class was studying data, charts, and graphs, so we surveyed the entire high school... their question was "Which floor in the school has the best bathroom" in typical middle-school fashion. And in my Spanish classes, well, evidently I'm the devil. We are having fun though. Their new favorite activity is hangman. Goes with the gruesome theme I guess.

This year our school is working on reaccreditation, so all the teachers are up to our devil horns in paperwork. I ended up with the sections on the Language department (wonder why) so I'm making up all kinds of information that sounds good... today's phrase was "global linguistic awareness." It's what I promote. Maybe I didn't make it up, I might have heard it somewhere, I dunno.

I spent last weekend house-sitting for the science teacher at our school, who is married to the pastor of one of the English churches here. They have a dog and 2 cats that I walked four times a day (the dog, not the cats). I took her running on the mountain, which was kind of sweet since she's so big she could pull me along. The people have a pretty nice apartment, plus 5 seasons of the tv show Monk, cable with BBC news, and a shelf of Agatha Christie books, so I offered to house-sit for them again anytime they needed it :^)

Well, the school vans are leaving and I don't want to get left behind. Until later...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on becoming a real teacher. The drawing was hilarious, especially the scar on the face. We are proud of your accomplishment!
Dad

leslie.kidd said...

Wow, quite the drawing you have going on there...silly kid to put on the back of his test! Seriously ...

We are going to reaccreditation as well - crazy business and
QUITE the endeaver! I can't wait for it to be done. I feel like it's so unfair to thrust this on a first year teacher!

House-sitting sounds like fun!! Miss and luv ya!

Kim House said...

Hey Lindsay
I am glad you had a good time at the Chapman's house and survived their scary dog! Wow that drawing was too much! What did you do? Just laugh? I hope you are doing well! that was funny about the biscuits too!

Anonymous said...

Ok, this post had me rolling!!! Well, as a figure of speech ;) I love the drawing ... really, that's great ... now if he had used all that talent on studying he'd probably be doing fine in the class, haha! But I must say when I tried hard tack I thought it was pretty gross ... of course I'm sure you didn't add the vermins that were usually found in them during the voyages ... I hope .... By the way, which bathroom is the best?? Haha, I love your creativity in engaging the students and making the lessons practical - like a real expert teacher, for sure!
~ Amy