The biggest thing of note lately has been the weather, which has been ranging from 9-20 degrees Farenheit. And yet the idea of global warming persists. Unfortunately, after coming back from Christmas, the hot water in my apartment had been getting colder and colder until it was almost nonexistent. Adding that to not ever having heat made for several very cold days, until the Korean office ladies at school realized that maybe it was a problem not to have hot water for a few weeks and maybe something should be done. So they eventually got around to fixing it, and I do have semi-warm water now, and I had heat for about four days. But on the positive side, on one of those four heated days we had a snow day! Even though it is very cold here, Koreans are like American Southerners in that if there is anything white on the ground, they refuse to drive. So I was left to calling and waking up the Korean mothers on my list to tell them in mixed English and Korean that there was no school. Only when trying to translate it to a language you don't really speak does the phrase "there is no school today" become completely absurd. "There is no school"... did it get destroyed? "We don't have school today"... but it was in our possession yesterday! So I went back to bed for about four more hours before writing 3 tests and going to a married couple of teachers' house for dinner and a Lost marathon. It was very relaxing, and I think I would like a snow day in the middle of every week!
I may have also joined the church Ensamble. After church on Sunday I was hanging out at a couple's house with a few other people, and someone randomly said "Lindsay should join the choir." So they talked me into going to practice Sunday evening, and by virtue of being an alto, they want me to stay. So we'll see... it would be a lot of fun if I could still escape town some weekends.
The second semester is winding down at school. Exams are Wednesday and Thursday, and I have been grading lots of final papers, which of course has brought me lots of interesting quotes. I leave you with these:
"My adhesiveness and passion for studying English totally changed my life."
"I might get into teaching when I get old and cranky."
"I think Germany is like Germanish because it is German."
"Spending much time with the kindergarteners gave me the fervor to shelter the young minds by providing hostile learning and care."
"This [math problem] does not matter because I am so handsome."
"I'm not going to get the job with the CIA because I falsified my information... I thought I had a degree I didn't."
Yes, my life might change too if I woke up one morning and discovered I was suddenly sticky. I love you all!

1 comment:
wow! those are some CRAZY quotes!!! hope you are doing well!
Post a Comment