Monday, March 30, 2009

I Mooooooved

In the States, my brother has a walk-in closet. Why a guy has one and not my sister or I, was always a mystery to me. Why do I bring this up? Well, because I now have a closet that big... except that closet is my new room.

But it's okay, because I moved!!! Last Saturday I officially moved out of my apartment, carrying all my stuff to the other end of the street to move in with another lady, Sharon, who teaches the other middle school classes. This is her second year here, but she taught for many years in the States. We just celebrated her 60th birthday, but she doesn't act her age and I don't act mine, so somehow that makes up for 40 years... at least enough that we get along really well. :^) Her apartment is a lot smaller and older than my last one, but it will do quite nicely for both of us until June. Korean rooms are usually smaller, especially since they have only fairly recently started using beds instead of yos on the floor. There is room for my bed and dresser, but I just hang my clothes on a rack. I discovered that if I lay down, I can touch one wall with my feet and the opposite wall with my hands, in both directions. But it is cozy. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
my room from the door

the kitchen; my door is on the left
living room; the "couch" is a crate covered with a blanket :)Sharon's room
doorway
The end of March/beginning of April is moving season in Korea, so I fit right in. People here move apartments all the time. Koreans like the newest things, so whenever they build a new apartment building, everyone flocks to it, leaving the older ones for people who don't want to pay as much rent. They also take advantage of moving to update their furniture, leaving their old ones at the dumpsters and buying new ones once they move in. Furniture can be tricky to move here anyway; they put it all on a big motorized lift and raise it up to the glassed-in porch area of the apartment. I fortunately didn't have to do that; a couple of guys from school helped move my dresser and I just carried the rest of my things back and forth. The heaviest thing I moved was my food... not sure what that says about my priorities :^) But if I don't have to move by walking again for a while, that will be okay with me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Linxi,
Glad you were able to participate in the annual Korean "Mooooooove Day". Looks like you have settled in nicely and will enjoy the new surroundings.
Love,
Wounded Knee

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay! Your new place certainly does look cozy!! I'm really glad you're liking it there. Hopefully you'll be a lot more comfortable and relaxed here. Glad everything worked out. :) Love ya!
Bethany

mom said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay
Have a fun day. Wish we could celebrate with you.