Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Deporting Bartenders

“Where is the bartender?” Kim asked Cherith and me one fine Saturday afternoon. We were sitting in the Pelicano, a restaurant/bar that serves as a meeting place and a source of good café con leche. It’s about a 5 minute walk from the other girls’ houses, 17 from mine, so we find ourselves there several times a week. We have developed an interesting history with said bartender, mainly due to the fact that in the beginning a few girls did not understand the difference between Coke Normal and Coke Lite, earning us a smirk every time we enter now.

“Does anyone know where the normal bartender guy is? He hasn’t been here for a few days,” Kim repeated, and I seized my opportunity. “Oh, you didn’t hear? He was deported this week! It turns out that he was an illegal immigrant from Morocco trying to work here, but since Spain is really trying to crack down on illegal immigration, when they found him they just deported him immediately.” Cherith, immediately recognizing my strange sense of humor, jumped right in to support me. “Yes, it’s true, Chilton told us at our meeting this morning.” Kim thought for a moment, and then replied, "You know, I always did think he looked Moroccan." A few of the other girls arrived then, and it’s not my fault that they all believed it too. Did the police get him here at the restaurant? No, it was at the house he was staying at. I think there were several of them living together.

For the whole evening, at the place we got tapas and back at the Pelicano to watch a movie, the rest of the girls were still in awe that something so exciting had transpired here. My work was done; the others spread the news to the last couple girls on the way to church Sunday morning. I only told my roommate the truth because I was laughing hysterically that night at home. Well, come Sunday night, guess who was tending the bar? He probably wondered why everyone who came in looked at him so funny.

That was my excitement last weekend. I did go to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the El Greco exhibit, but even though that was amazing, the bartender story was my biggest enjoyment.
And here are a few pictures I've taken here.
The view from my balcony down the street:

Torre de oro.

River Guadalquivir at sunset.

3 comments:

GuyverII said...

Vives en la Macarena, ¿no?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're bad!!! That is hysterical!!! Miss ya!!

Anonymous said...

ps - again from Amy