Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Real Life

Last week I was introduced to real life again. On Monday I started my internship. I’m working for a lady who does events and sets up trips to Sevilla for tourists, among other things. Right now I’m working on one project coding a website for a web design conference, and on another project writing content and finding pictures for a tourism site. So far it has been rather intense, trying to write about things I’ve never seen, use programs I’ve never used before, and finish everything asap. There is a guy who does web design who has come in a couple evenings to show me how to code some things, and he’s been very good about answering questions and explaining things. The lady I work for speaks English, so we talk in both languages, but the web design guy only speaks Spanish, which I’m very glad for although it is sometimes hard to understand both what he is saying and how to do what he is teaching me.

The schedule of working in Spain is very different. We usually work from 10 to around 2:15 in the morning and from 5 to around 8:30 in the afternoon. Everyone goes home for lunch, which looks like a long time, but it’s actually pretty rushed when I have to walk 45 min to an hour home, eat, take my turn taking care of things like dishes and laundry, and walk back. We usually have to take work home with us to do after dinner before the next day. But don't get me wrong, I know it is very good experience and I’m working with people I can learn a lot from. I’m just used to work being a little more relaxed! I will probably not have to work as much when I start all my classes. When I was doing homework yesterday, I told my roommate it was strangely comforting to study again and she told me she wanted to carry me to a doctor :^)

Last week I did not work Monday afternoon or Thursday because we had orientation for classes, and Thursday morning we took a tour of the Ayuntamiento (city hall). I may be a nerd but I really enjoyed seeing all the meeting rooms and hearing the history of everything.

Tonight I don't have to work so some of the girls decided we should go out for churros and chocolate. They go out for food and shopping during the days and evenings, but since I haven't been able to go, they decided I should try them tonight. Yay!

Thanks to all of you who asked about me and said you were thinking about me. I think I'm doing okay here so far; I feel fine, I love (most) the food, I’m used to the schedule, I'm getting used to walking a lot (3-5 hrs, great exercise!), and I’m learning to do things like open doors and hang out my laundry without dropping my socks in the cat food. I love and miss you all!

4 comments:

GuyverII said...

No olvides pasar por Las Columnas o La Moneda para comer una tapa...

karie said...

hey you, It is so nice to be able to live your live along side of you! I am so proud of you! I walked to the mail box today, waved at a car driving by , and walked back in for a drink of water. It took about 2 min. maybe more for I had to hang my coat back up!I hear you when you talk about all that walking! We love you and are praying for you! Aunt Karie

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know you were concerned about picking up a few extra pounds ... but don't you think you are getting a little too carried away with the walking ;) Although I'm not really surprised to hear work is a little stressful for you - I'm convinced you like it that way :} Perhaps it would make it easier if there wasn't that bi-language issue ... oh well, you also seem to enjoy taking on challenges. At this point I would recommend getting your doctorate after you graduate because it can't be any more work than you are currently doing!! Best of wishes this week, love ya!!
~ Amy

Anonymous said...

:-P